BaseballSoftballUK continues to closely follow the UK Government and Sport England’s advice on the lockdown and associated restrictions.
In particular, advice on a return to playing community and grassroots sports continues to evolve and we have this week been in touch with the relevant authorities to review this policy and guidance. Below is a summary, applicable in England only.
Outdoor activity permitted for baseball and softball players and coaches
Official social distancing restrictions remain in place stating you must:
- Maintain a 2 metre distance at all times
- Engage only with members of your household
- Engage only with one other person
- Sessions including catching, fielding or hitting with your family or other people living in your household are permitted.
- Sessions including catching, fielding or hitting with one other person are permitted. Note, two or more people from one household playing with one person or more from outside their household is not permitted.
- Coaching sessions are permitted on a one-on-one basis only. Children under the age of 18 should be supervised by a guardian who is also observing social distancing.
- Equipment must be cleaned regularly. If you share bats, clean them with household cleaning products at exchange. Balls may be thrown or fielded, ensuring that you use anti-bacterial gel or wipes and wash your hands well following the session.
- Always follow Government advice – a thorough sporting guide to what may and may not be done can be found here: “Guidance on the phased return to sport and outdoor recreation”, 13 May.
Note, different policies, generally advising people to ‘stay at home’, are in place in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland where the respective authorities should be consulted.
Please also always consider:
6. Avoiding unnecessary risks to yourself or others. Injuries requiring medical attention will be detrimental to the efforts to counter COVID-19.
7. Other outdoor space users.
We will continue to work with the Government and Sport England in order to provide guidance as the Government’s COVID-19 recovery strategy moves to the next phase.
Staying game ready
Meanwhile, make the most of the downtime by joining in our #GameReady programme of online skills and activities, Coach Education content and league and club administrative support. Look out for the next session focusing on Safeguarding Best Practice on 26th May.
Sign up to our mailing lists and keep up-to-date with content and information here:
- Mailing lists: www.baseballsoftballuk.com/mailinglist
- Facebook: BaseballSoftballUK
- Twitter: @bsuk
Find out more about Sport England’s latest guidance, including tips on how to stay fit mentally and physically: www.sportengland.org/how-we-can-help/coronavirus.
UK Government general advice on COVID-19: www.gov.uk/coronavirus.